Instagram Pinterest Teachers Pay Teachers Facebook Bloglovin' Image Map

Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Look at my Lessons 1/25/15

Hi Friends! 
I hope you had a great weekend! My husband and I used our weekend to relax and recharge with friends in the mountains. We all had a great time, but it went by so quickly! It was Sunday before I knew it! 

Now, I don't know about you, but on Sunday evenings I tend to get a little anxious about what is waiting for me in the work week ahead. I've found that making basic lesson plans for the week tends to make my Sunday anxiety lessen. After a while, once I've gotten used to the process of writing up lesson plans, it becomes pretty easy. I think it will also be awesome this time next year when I have lesson plans to work from (and just tweak a bit) as opposed to reinventing the wheel.

I've decided to start sharing these lesson plans with you! These posts will be titled "A Look at my Lessons". I'm already making them for myself so I might as well share… if it helps someone feel a little less anxious about their Monday morning, that makes me happy! :)



I know everyone has caseloads made up of varying ages and abilities… so my lesson plans may not apply to everyone. However, I often use open-ended reinforcement activities and those can be utilized for many different therapy groups. I should also caution that I've listed mainly the materials I'm going to use- I don't include behavioral strategies, prompting and modifications in my lesson plans… they are VERY general. But, they give me place to start when it comes to therapy for the week!

I've listed the names of my lesson plan activities below and where you can get them (if they are available on TpT). :)

Roll a Super Bowl Football by SLP Chelsea (me)
Football Challenge sheets by Peachie Speechie
Football Chip Board by Karen Dickson
Super Bowl Prediction Sheet by Hannah Martin
Describing a NFL mascot by Speech Room News
Let's Plan a Super Bowl Party by SLP Chelsea (me) --- It's FREE!


The activity for my Speedy Speech kiddos titled "I'm Going to a Super Bowl Party and I'm Bringing…" is just what it sounds like. You may remember this game from car rides growing up… I know I played it on many a road trip. I do this activity with my kiddos that are at the carryover level. We simply write down their sound on a piece of paper (so I can point to it as a visual reminder throughout the activity and they can remember to only use words with that sound) and we take turns stating "I'm going to a Super Bowl party and I'm bringing __________". The game gets pretty difficult because they have to remember what was said and they have to remember it in order. So, I wouldn't suggest it for your kiddos who will have trouble with that. Here's an example---
Target sound - /R/

Me: I'm going to a Super Bowl party and I'm bringing tortilla chips.
Student: I'm going to a Super Bowl party and I'm bringing tortilla chips and roses.
Me: I'm going to a Super Bowl party and I'm bringing tortilla chips, roses and paper plates.
Student: I'm going to a Super Bowl party and I'm bringing tortilla chips, roses, paper plates and a parachute.

As you can see, it gets difficult pretty fast but it also gets pretty silly. I tell the kids they can "bring" any item as long as it has their sound in it. :) 
I hope this was helpful! I love doing themes for therapy- the kiddos obviously love it, the themes help me plan easier and they make me look forward therapy sessions! When work gets crazy with IEPs, assessments, scheduling, etc…. having my lessons already planned out helps out so much!

If you happen to stop by my store to pick up some materials, make sure to FOLLOW ME! That way, you will be notified whenever I post new products! Also PLEASE leave feedback if you've used my products, free or paid. I love to hear your input AND you get TpT credits if you provide feedback… those credits can actually be used to buy products on TpT!

I'm linking up with Old School Speech for her "Week in Review" linky! Check out her page for more weekly lesson plan ideas and/or link up to share yours!

Have a wonderful week, everyone!!! 

4 comments:

  1. I host a weekly linky (Week in Review). It's for what was done last week, or what is planned for the next. I'd love for you to link up!
    Looks like you have a busy week!!!
    oldschoolspeech.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary!
      Thank you for telling me! I'd really love to link up! :) How does that work exactly? I'm new at this!

      I got your email and comment about the craniofacial kiddo you have! I've been meaning to write you back but I want to make sure I have time to write you a thorough response. :) I'm working on it, I promise! So glad we've connected!

      Delete
    2. Looks like you figured out the linky! Thank you for linking up!!!
      Also, thanks for taking the time to respond to me!!
      oldschoolspeech.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete